32 Legitimate Ways to Make Money at Home
So you’re looking for ways to make money from home… Join the crowd!
Thanks to a genius invention called the internet, Americans are discovering more and more creative ways to cushion their bank accounts from the comforts of home.
Not sure where to start? Pour yourself a cup of coffee (or glass of wine), and keep reading.
How to Make Money From Home in 2020
If you’re looking to make money online, you’ll need to exercise caution. There are a lot of scams out there, but don’t fret: We’ve tested dozens, if not hundreds, of different money-making strategies and included only our favorites.
Yup — none of them involve Nigerian princes, and you really will get paid.
Without further ado, here are 32 legitimate ways to earn extra cash from home.
1. Earn Cash While Watching Cooking Videos Online
If we told you that you could get paid to watch videos on your computer, you’d probably laugh.
It’s too good to be true, right?
It takes about one minute to sign up, and you’ll immediately get a $5 bonus to get you started.
2. Earn up to $60/Hour Working From Home
3. Get Paid Every Time You Buy Toilet Paper
Not so bad for a useless receipt, right?
4. See if You Can Get More Money From This Company
Yep. A debit card called Aspiration gives you up to a 5% back every time you swipe.
Need to buy groceries? Extra cash.
Need to fill up the tank? Bam. Even more extra cash.
You were going to buy these things anyway — why not get this extra money in the process?
5. Search Your Wallet and Cash in on Your Dollar Bills
Turns out antique coins aren’t the only currency worth cash to collectors.
- 7 repeating digits in a row on $1 Federal Reserve Notes (i.e. 09999999, 77777776)
- 7 of a kind on $1 Federal Reserve Notes (i.e. 00010000, 99999099)
- Super repeaters on $1 Federal Reserve Notes (i.e. 67676767)
- Double quads on $1 Federal Reserve Notes (i.e. 00009999)
- and more!
6. Get Paid for Your Opinion
7. Search for Unclaimed Money
Sure, it’s $56, but that’s not bad for an unexpected check, right? We’ll take it!
8. Add This Browser Extension
With all that info, Wikibuy will let you know if this is a good time to buy.
Bonus: Your payment information isn’t passed to the retailer, so it’s in fewer places online.
Wikibuy compensates us when you sign up for Wikibuy using the links provided.
9. Get $5 to Invest in Companies You Care About
It’s no brilliant secret that investing can be a smart way to make money.
Sometimes, though, it feels restricted to a few wealthy elite.
10. Get Paid for Taking Polls
11. Copy This Strategy to Get Checks in the Mail Totaling $526
Remember when getting the mail was fun? Now it’s just bills. And Valpak envelopes.
Talk about money for nothing.
12.Turn Your Junk Mail Into Cash
Well, you can turn them into cash.
No, you won’t be rolling in extra cash, but you can earn up to $20 every six to 10 weeks.
13. Trade Your Grocery Receipts for Cash
We all want to save money on our groceries. What we don’t want to do is put a ton of work into it.
It’s called Ibotta, and it gives you cash back for buying certain items at the grocery store.
Bam. Cash back.
14. Spend $5 to Own a Piece of Amazon or Google
15. Create an Online Course
You don’t need experience or a degree to make money teaching on Udemy.
16. Sell Your Crafts, Vintage Finds and Even Project Supplies
That’s a whole lot of potential customers.
17. Start a Blog
Sound appealing? Follow our seven-step guide to starting a blog.
18. Make Your Own Schedule as a Data-Entry Clerk
19. Write and Sell an Ebook
20. Get Your True Crime Fix by Joining a Mock Jury
21. Do Calligraphy on the Side
22. Make Money Doing Voice-Overs
Janna Polzin, a stay-at-home mom in Toronto, earns money by talking to herself. In her closet.
23. Use Your Type-A Skills as a Virtual Assistant
To find open virtual assistant jobs, peruse some of these work-from-home job boards.
24. Sell Your Old Books for Amazon Gift Cards
25. Help Make the Internet Better as a User-Tester
26. Become a Freelancer and Set Your Own Hours
27. Sell Your Photos (Even If You Took Them With Your Phone)
Start with a stock photography marketplace like Foap.
28. Earn $12/Hour Doing Random Google Searches
29. Get Paid up to $25/Hour as a Transcriptionist
Are you a good listener — and a good typist? You can make $15 to $25 an hour as a transcriptionist.
30. Sell Someone Else’s Stuff
Selling Craigslist freebies is a great way to make a profit quickly, because you get the items for free. You could even have cash in hand today.
Go to the free section on Craigslist and look for things that are close to you and easy to sell immediately. They could be scraps from a job site or metal items you can sell, for example.
For a quick turnaround, avoid items like furniture or electronics. These can be good to sell, but they’ll take longer.
Cash in your treasures by reselling on Craigslist, including them in a rummage sale or selling to specialty buyers, like a pawn shop or a local business.
31. Rent out the Clothes That Make Your Friends Jealous
Are your friends always complimenting your great sense of style? Try making money off that killer taste!
You can rent out your clothing online through a site like Style Lend.
There are a ton of others on the market, but take sure to read the fine print on rental sites. Some don’t charge any fees to the buyers and sellers, but some charge a rental commission per order. You’ll need to price your wears accordingly to account for any commission handed over to the company.
32. See if You Qualify for a Class-Action Settlement
If you use a product that’s involved in a class-action lawsuit, a little online sleuthing could get you a cash payout.
The rules of each settlement are different, but in most cases you’ll have to provide proof of purchase or product use, like a serial number or a receipt. Once you fill out your online claim form, you may have to wait a few weeks or months before receiving your payment.
Psst — we regularly post new class-action settlement information, so check in often to make sure you’re not missing a chance to get paid!
Our Favorite Work-From-Home Advice
Making money from home sounds all glitz and glam — and it can be, in a sweatpants kind of way. But there are also things you need to know before fully diving in. Here are a few resources to help you get started:
- If you’re looking for a full-time work-from-home job, we rounded up 15 of our favorite remote job boards.
- Listen: There are a lot of work-from-home scams out there, so be sure to use your best judgement. We shared exactly how we vet the work-from-home jobs we write about — so you can do it on your own, too.
- If you’re looking to settle into a full-time work-from-home job, you’ll want to stock your home office with the essentials. Trust us when we say: Working from a couch all day isn’t good for your posture!
- Oof. Taxes. You should know about these work-from-home tax deductions. Plus, how to handle your taxes when you have a side gig.
- Are you looking for a side gig? You can find those in our list of 45 legitimate ways to make money online.
Happy working from home!
*For Securities priced over $1,000, purchase of fractional shares starts at $0.05.
**You’ll also bear the standard fees and expenses reflected in the pricing of the ETFs in your account, plus fees for various ancillary services charged by Stash and the custodian.
The Penny Hoarder is a Paid Affiliate/partner of Stash. Investment advisory services offered by Stash Investments LLC, an SEC registered investment adviser. This material has been distributed for informational and educational purposes only, and is not intended as investment, legal, accounting, or tax advice. Investing involves risk.