Here Are 7 Ways to Support Good Health for Everyone — Including Yourself
But I’d argue that public health is just as important — if not more so — than collectibles and burrowing animals.
The American Public Health Association must think it’s a pretty important issue to commemorate, too. In honor of National Public Health Week, the association has come up with a few ways for people to get healthy while advocating for a strong public health system.
7 Ways to Commemorate National Public Health Week
Here are a few ideas from the American Public Health Association on how to support National Public Health Week, along with some additional other tips to keep you healthy throughout the year.
- Join the Generation Public Health community and take the pledge to help create a healthy America.
- Join APHA’s 1 Billion Steps Challenge and help the organization reach 1 billion collective steps in time for next year’s National Public Health Week.
- Take a look at APHA’s initiatives to address the nation’s public health concerns and find out how to get involved.
- Visit your local public health department for free or low-cost health screenings to detect everything from prostate and cervical cancer to sexually transmitted infections.
- Keep your brain in tip-top shape with healthy food and regular exercise.
- Learn the art of healthy cooking on a shoestring budget.
- If you’re a smoker, consider quitting.
Lisa McGreevy is a staff writer at The Penny Hoarder. She loves telling readers about affordable ways to stay healthy, so look her up on Twitter (@lisah) if you’ve got a tip to share.